1982 Militaria Forum

Genuine Falklands War British Mk.5 helmet

« Older   Newer »
Tug1970
view post Posted on 24/5/2015, 23:58

Hi,

I originally spotted this helmet on ebay, immediately drawn by the scrim and camouflage plus it looked as though it had some age to it. I bought the helmet relatively cheaply but they never seem to command a high price anyway.

When I received the helmet I did some investigating of the nooks and crannies before starting to gently peel back the scrim just to see if there were any hidden clues, it wasn't long before I found an Army service number '24396406' quickly followed by a name 'CHILDS'.

DSC03562

After some research on the internet I managed to find out he had served during Operation Corporate in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, I also found that some of him old Army oppos were trying to get in contact with him. After speaking with a few of his old colleagues I got some leads and eventually tracked him down.

LCpl_Duncn_Charlie_Childs

We exchanged a few emails and I sent him a few photographs of the helmet and he was quite stunned it was still together after all these years. We spoke on the phone and he told me he had originally camouflaged the helmet whilst serving in Germany before being mobilized and shipped out for the South Atlantic.

IMG_20150524_0009

He found it quite unbelievable that the helmet had remained untouched and said that he had actually exchanged the helmet in the stores system for the new Mk.6 kevlar helmet in the mid to late 80's before eventually leaving the Army in 1990.

IMG_20150524_0010

DSC_0139

DSC_0138

DSC_0140

DSC_0141

DSC_0142

DSC_0143

Brgds,
Tug

view post Posted on 25/5/2015, 05:11

Advanced Member

Group:

Nice helmet. And very interesting research. Detective work worthy of Sherlock or Hercule Poirot !

Tug1970
view post Posted on 25/5/2015, 10:07

QUOTE (teysseire1972 @ 25/5/2015, 06:11) 
Nice helmet. And very interesting research. Detective work worthy of Sherlock or Hercule Poirot !

Thanks, yes the internet can be a great tool sometimes and with a bit of persistence you can stumble across all sorts of interesting things. A few years ago I researched and found the original owner of a WWII Denison smock I have in my collection, quite amazing and he is alive and well at 91 years old. Yes sometimes it can be extremely interesting what you can discover with relatively little effort.

Brgds,
Tug

view post Posted on 25/5/2015, 12:25

Advanced Member

Group:

Beautiful piece, incredibly well preserved, evidently intended to be preserved in a good collection. Congratulations, is one of the most rewarding things about collecting for me, the opportunity to research and learn, and when the research is successful extra satisfaction.
the best Tug

Ser99

Hermosa pieza, increiblemente muy bien conservada, evidentemente destinada a ser preservada en una buena coleccion. Felicitaciones, es una de las cosas mas gratificantes que tiene el coleccionismo para mi, la posibilidad de investigar y aprender, y cuando la investigacion es exitosa una satisfaccion extra.
Lo mejor

Ser99

Tug1970
view post Posted on 25/5/2015, 12:50

That's very true and all these things are very interesting in their own right, but coupled together with a story and provenance they become so much more than that. What was once just a fairly ordinary helmet or smock suddenly has a history, an identity, something that can then be preserved for the future. I'm like a dog with a bone sometimes, just keep gnawing away at it :D

Tug

view post Posted on 25/5/2015, 23:34

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

Nice catch! and knowing the provenance twice the value!
What was the Childs's unit?
Congrats for the helmet and for the profesional quality pictures!

HHD

Buena caza! el hecho de conocer su origen duplica su valor!
Cual era la unidad de Childs?
Felicitaciones por el casco y por las fotos de calidad profesional!

HHD

Tug1970
view post Posted on 26/5/2015, 00:05

Yes excellent photographs indeed, I can't take any credit for those apart from tuning up with a car boot full of helmets.........I'm guessing you have already recognised the photo-graphical skills and style demonstrated by Ollie! I bet you can't guess which ones I took :D

Duncan Childs wasn't very forthcoming with information and it took a while to get hold of him but he did promise to send me through some bits and bobs which he did, so other than the photograph he signed there wasn't anything else information wise.

I had to join a RAOC forum in order to track him down but they were asking after him prior to a 49 Replenishment Company RAOC reunion........he said he applied the scrim on the helmet whilst in Germany so what unit he was with during Corporate I'm not sure but I will endeavour to find out and come back to you.

Brgds,
Tug

Edited by Tug1970 - 26/5/2015, 13:48

Tug1970
view post Posted on 30/5/2015, 15:05

QUOTE (Hard Hat Diver @ 26/5/2015, 00:34) 
Nice catch! and knowing the provenance twice the value!
What was the Childs's unit?
Congrats for the helmet and for the profesional quality pictures!

HHD

Buena caza! el hecho de conocer su origen duplica su valor!
Cual era la unidad de Childs?
Felicitaciones por el casco y por las fotos de calidad profesional!

HHD

Hi Daniel,

Just had a short and sweet message from Duncan 'Charlie' Childs, said simply "9 ORD RAOC LAUNDRY SECTION" A man of many words!! :D

Brgds,
Tug

view post Posted on 30/5/2015, 16:03

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

Estimated Tug, I congratulate you on this hull that showing these us of the hand of the friend Ollie. The combined materials are very interesting and we can estimate his efficiency. East is a model that, good camouflaged since it is the case, is very of my pleasure. Thank you for sharing it here.

LMV

Estimado Tug , te felicito por este casco que nos estas mostrando de la mano del amigo Ollie Los materiales combinados son muy interesantes y podemos apreciar su eficacia. Este es un modelo que, bien camuflado como es el caso, es muy de mi agrado. Gracias por compartirlo aquí.

LMV

Tug1970
view post Posted on 30/5/2015, 16:49

Gracias LMV, sí fue un buen hallazgo... Charlie Childs obviamente tomó un poco de orgullo en su 'pote de mear'!
Sí Ollie toma una buena foto, realmente debo invertir en una cámara decente! :P

Thanks LMV, yes it was a nice find.....Charlie Childs obviously took some pride in his 'piss pot'! :lol:
Yes Ollie does take a good photograph, I really must invest in a decent camera!

Tug

view post Posted on 31/5/2015, 21:48

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

Thanks for the info Tug, I saw a pacific man face in Childs, just like a laundry man, not a brave soldier, Ha! Ha!
HHD
Muchas gracias Tug por la info, a Childs le vi cara de hombre pacifico, como de lava deep no de soldado aguerrido! Ja!ja!

Edited by Hard Hat Diver - 31/5/2015, 21:39

Tug1970
view post Posted on 3/6/2015, 13:05

Childs may well have been just a laundryman but he is and was as brave as any ordinary man or woman. Sometimes people have to be braver for longer and is it really possible to put a face on bravery........it comes in many guises from the most unlikely of people young or old.

Tug

11 replies since 24/5/2015, 23:58   1107 views