1982 Militaria Forum

British berets of 1982

« Older   Newer »
RAF REGIMENT GUNNER
view post Posted on 24/12/2013, 16:59

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] PART 1, RM
ROYAL MARINES COMMANDO (Other ranks) ISSUE CORRECT TYPE FOR 1982 . The marines nearly ALL wore the regulation silk banded type in 1982.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cap badge for Marines up to the rank of RSM (GOD)

PART TWO, ROYAL MARINES OFFICER

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG=o527iq]http://i42.tinypic.com/o527iq.jpg

OFFICER,S TWO PIECE BADGE FOR RSM AND ABOVE

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/I
[IMG][URL=http://tinypic.com?ref=2yyttz4][/URL
[IMG][/IMG]
NOTE THE SILK NOT LEATHER BANDS

Edited by RAF REGIMENT GUNNER - 25/12/2013, 00:37

view post Posted on 26/12/2013, 19:47

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

Hi RRF: thanks for sharing this info about RM berets, as I just say to LMV, I am learning continuously from you, in this case about berets used in the conflict. Sincerely I don't know the detail of the silk banded. I want to see more!
Thanks again

HHD

RAF REGIMENT GUNNER
view post Posted on 26/12/2013, 21:35

QUOTE (Hard Hat Diver @ 26/12/2013, 19:47) 
Hi RRF: thanks for sharing this info about RM berets, as I just say to LMV, I am learning continuously from you, in this case about berets used in the conflict. Sincerely I don't know the detail of the silk banded. I want to see more!
Thanks again

HHD

Hi HHD , Thanks for the kind words . As always the subject is complicated ,and I think would translate badly!!! (google translate.) so I will try in English ,maybe you could translate for the guys ? The Royal Marines are by tradition very much ones for doing things the regulation way .During the 80,s silk banded berets was issue standard ,in the case of the Royal marines this was almost universal ,,,Issue items and the culture of using them in the Marines is called ,,,Pussers ,,, (they have there own language)
this is a referance to the Rum once issued made by Pussers .Now everything of issue is described as Pussers in RM slang .
For example skis are Pussers planks , another example would be boots ,,standard issue boots would be Pussers boots but private boots such as Berghaus would be Gucci . I did warn you it,s complicated!!!!! Berets issued from the early 90,s have leather bands
,berets issued in the 40,s 50,s 60,s had leather bands, 70,s berets had leatherette bands ,The silk banded 80,s were not popular
.as we will see when examining Para berets of the 80,s ,,,, coming soon

view post Posted on 26/12/2013, 22:32

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

Hola a todos: a pedido de RRG me permito tratar de traducir lo mas fielmente posible las excelente explicación sobre la terminología que utilizaban los Royal Marines en su argot, para describir las diferentes piezas del equipo y uniformes, me resulto muy interesante información adicional. Espero les sea de utilidad.
Ollie dijo:
"Hola HHD: Gracias por tu amables palabras. Como siempre sucede el tema es complicado y creo que puedo haberlo traducido no muy bien!! (usando el traductor de Google)por lo que tratare en Ingles, quizá puedas traducirlo para los muchachos?
Los Royal marines son por tradición mucho mas proclives a hacer las cosas según los reglamentos. Durante los 80's las boinas fueron provistas reglamentariamente con el reborde de cinta de seda, en el caso de los RM esto fue casi de uso universal, los ítems provistos y la cultura de utilizarlos en los Marines se lo denomina "Pussers" (ellos tienen su propio lenguaje) esto es en lo referente a lo informal o pocos usual alguna vez provisto hecho por Pussers. Entonces cada cosa provista se describe como Pussers en el argot de los RM.
Por ejemplo los esquíes son "tablas Pussers", otro ejemplo podrían ser las botas, las provistas regularmente serian "botas Pussers" pero las botas de compra privada como las Berhaus podrían ser "Gucci", Yo te avise que seria complicado!!! Las boinas provistas desde principio de los 90's tienen la banda de cuero, las boinas de los 40's, 50's y 60's tenían bandas de cuero mientras que las provistas en los 70's lo llevaban en cuerna. La banda de cinta de seda de los 80's no era muy popular como hemos visto cuando examinamos las boinas de los Para de los 80's…….continuara pronto"

RAF REGIMENT GUNNER
view post Posted on 27/12/2013, 13:56

[IMG][/IMG]

RAF REGIMENT GUNNER
view post Posted on 27/12/2013, 16:09

I will now try to explain Parachute Regiment berets . Hopefully HHD can translate again as it was so helpful last time .
The Paras unlike the Royal Marines bought there berets ,this was permitted on completion of training and the privately purchased beret could be worn on the pass out parade . Most Paras bought there berets from a military tailors shop in Aldershot (this was the Paras garrison town then. )the shop was called Victors and the berets were always simple called ,,Victors ,, All members of the Paras wear the silver metal badge whatever rank . At the rear of the beret is a small bow this is sown in place this is always in place upon Parachute regiment berets . For duty in Northern Ireland and to some extent in the 82 war ,black painted badges were worn .
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Another aspect of British Berets is That Many units wear the beret in a different style ,this is known SHAPING ,(note how different the Marine shape is to the Para !!!)

Another Privately made Para beret . It was deliberately bought in a size that is too small and the owner cut small slits in the band ,this is so the beret looks small .
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

view post Posted on 27/12/2013, 16:18

Advanced Member

Group:

Gracias Ollie por toda esta informacion, sumamente util y esclarecedora ya que no tenia idea de que el borde de seda es el que corresponde a la epoca, casualmente tendo dos boinas que de pura casualidad tienen borde de seda, una esta sin uso y la otra bastante usada pero entera.

Thanks Ollie for all this information, very useful and enlightening as I had no idea that silk edge is corresponding to the time, coincidentally I have two berets by chance have silk edge, one is unused and the other widely used but not damaged

jlgp

Clasica boina Kangol de la epoca en condiciones mint

Classic Kangol beret of the time in mint condition

y1vi

djp2

6b7c

La siguiente boina no tiene nombre de fabricante

The following is nameless beret Manufacturers

x59d

v9sd

9rin

Abrazo

Sergio

RAF REGIMENT GUNNER
view post Posted on 27/12/2013, 16:41

Hi Sergio , Thanks for showing ,sadly neither are correct for 82 , The first shown is a Kangol commercial beret for boy scouts ,there is no government contract details on the label . The second beret is from around 1985 because there is no makers name only a contract code ,this happened in the mid 80,s .
Hope that helps
RRG

view post Posted on 27/12/2013, 17:01

Advanced Member

Group:

Gracias Ollie, claro que es una gran ayuda para nosotros que hata ahora estamos perdidos con este tema. Te muestro las que tengo de paracaidista.
La primera es muy pequeña y tiene el borde de cuero

Thanks Ollie, of course it is a great help for us who are now lost hata this item. I show that I have paratrooper.
The first is very small and has a leather rim

c2s2

u0wv

frck

k8fi

La segunda es interesante para mi porque es mas rustica, esta fabricada en la india y por la corona de la insignia tal vez sea de la decada del 50, puede ser? El borde es de cuero y esta confeccionada en una lana mas rustica

The second is interesting to me because it is more rustic, this made in India and the crown logo is perhaps the decade of 50, may be? The rim is leather and this packaging is a more rustic wool

c30z

ceqw

1kes

m6mk

RAF REGIMENT GUNNER
view post Posted on 27/12/2013, 17:18

Hi Sergio , Thanks for the kind words , The First Maroon beret is from the early 90,s and is the type still being issued now ,the liners are of cotton and there are no air holes . The second beret is an India export item used by many middle eastern countries ,but would never be worn by a British Airborne soldier .
Cheers
Ollie

view post Posted on 27/12/2013, 17:24

Advanced Member

Group:

Thanks Ollie, valuable information for me. Now that I have no period beret! ha! ha! A hug.

Sergio

RAF REGIMENT GUNNER
view post Posted on 27/12/2013, 17:27

QUOTE (Ser99 @ 27/12/2013, 17:24) 
Thanks Ollie, valuable information for me. Now that I have no period beret! ha! ha! A hug.

Sergio

Thanks for your understanding Sergio you are a true gentleman ,,, It is a very complicated subject indeed!!
Cheers
Ollie

view post Posted on 28/12/2013, 00:33

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

Estimado RRG, que magnífico Thread nos estas regalando. Me sumo al agradecimiento de Ser99 y HHD ya que al ser complicado el tema boinas británicas debemos aprovechar estos conocimientos. Ahora entiendo tu MP y lo agradezco.
No sabía tampoco el tema de la seda.

Abrazo.
LMV

Estimated RRG, which magnificent Thread giving these us. I add to the gratefulness of Ser99 and HHD since when the topic is complicated British berets we must take advantage of this knowledge. Now I understand your MP and am grateful for it. It did not know the topic either of it her sedates.
I embrace.
LMV

view post Posted on 28/12/2013, 01:17

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

Hola RRG, disculpas por mi demora en responder, pero tuve un día muy ocupado.
Excelente información es la que sigue aportando, te felicito.
Va la traducción:
"Tratare de explicar las boinas del Regimeinto de Paracaidistas. Espero que HHD pueda traducir nuevamente como lo hizo la ultima vez en que fue de mucha ayuda.
A diferencia de los Royal Marine, los Paras adquirieron sus boinas, esto completaba el entrenamiento y la boina comprada en forma privada podía ser llevada enel desfile al finalizar el entrenamiento basico.
La mayoría de los Paras adquirían sus boinas en una sastrería militare en Aldershot (donde radican los cuarteles de los Paras) llamada Victors, por lo que las boinas siempre fueron llamadas "Victors".
Todos los miembros de los Paras llevan la insignia metálica plateada sin distinción de rango. En la parte posterior de la boina existe un pequeño moño o lazo, siempre presente en las boinas del Regimiento de Paracaidistas.
Durante el servicio en Irlanda del Norte y algunas también se extendieron hasta la guerra de 1982, las insignias se llevaron pintadas de negro."

"Otro aspecto de las boinas britanicas, es que muchas unidades la llevaban en diferentes estilos, lo que se conoce como "SHAPING", (notese cuan diferentes son los estilos de las de los RM con respecto a las de los Paras!!)"

Otra boina de Para, confeccionada en forma privada. Esta fue deliberadamente adquirida en un talle mucho mas pequeño y quien la poseía le realizo pequeños cortes en la banda, esto hace parecer a la boina mucho mas pequeña."

Espero les haya servido

HHD

Edited by Hard Hat Diver - 2/17/2024, 11:37 AM

RAF REGIMENT GUNNER
view post Posted on 3/1/2014, 14:54

SAS BERET, The Beret had a silk band but this has been covered by a Leather band sewn over it .
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

34 replies since 24/12/2013, 16:51   1146 views